Our sense of smell is often overlooked, but it is powerful enough to easily evoke emotions, give a boost of energy, or awaken vivid memories from long ago. Here are some fun examples of the power of smells:
- Freshly cut grass. Does it bring up imagery of a warm summer day?
- Peppermint. This revitalizing scent can enhance physical performance, relieve pain, indigestion, nausea, and headaches.
- Cinnamon. Whether cooking on the stove top or soaking in hot cider, cinnamon improves mood and concentration.
- Fresh flowers. This cheery fragrance makes people more energetic.
- Citrus. Scents from Oranges and Lemons increase oxygen flow, boost energy, and can improve immune function. Many report associating Lemon with cleanliness, too.
- Coffee Beans. Coffee aroma can energize you and counteract stress caused by the lack of sleep.
- Pine needles. This energizing scent can release tension, and frequently brings up fond holiday memories.
- Oatmeal. This smell is associated with soothing and sedating feelings.
- Pool Chlorine. Smells clean and brings up memories of summer fun in backyard and neighborhood swimming pools.
Did we miss a scent that makes you feel a certain way? Or brings up great memories? Tell us in the comments!